Court Help Virtual Assistant

  • If your viewing our website with a Desktop computer, visit us on your iPhone or Android mobile phone.

  • Please contact us if you have any questions or comments.

How can I modify my Custody Order?

Modification of a NC Custody Order is a 3-Step Process:
First, if you have a North Carolina custody order, you must file a motion to modify with the court. In your motion, you should list all the reasons you believe the order should be modified. For example, you are planning on moving out-of-state or the other parent has developed a substance abuse issue.
Second, a judge must find that a substantial change in circumstances has occurred. “A substantial change in circumstances” is a term of art in the legal field. It basically means there must be a substantial change that has a large impact on the minor child (either good or bad).
So, if, like in the example above, you decide to move out-of-state, the move could be good for your child for several reasons. For instance, the move could put you closer to family so that you have a larger support network. Your new job may also have greater flexibility so you can be there for your child more.
Conversely, if the other parent has developed a substance abuse issue, this could have a negative effect on the minor child. In either case, the judge may find a substantial change in circumstances affecting the minor child occurred.

Child Custody Family Law 

This information applies to All Counties in North Carolina.


Find an Experienced Attorney to help you with your Child Custody issues!

Find experienced lawyers in North Carolina, ready to assist you with your Child Custody legal / court needs.

View North Carolina Child Custody Attorneys
Find a North Carolina Attorney

Find Answers to Your Legal Questions