Court Help Virtual Assistant

  • If your viewing our website with a Desktop computer, visit us on your iPhone or Android mobile phone.

  • Please contact us if you have any questions or comments.

I have a custody order from another state but now live in North Carolina. What do I need to do?

Custody orders from other states are valid in North Carolina. In general, even if you and/or the child has moved from another state to North Carolina, a judge in the original state will continue to make decisions in your case as long as one of the parties still lives there. If everyone has left the original state, you can ask the North Carolina courts to take over your case. If you want a North Carolina judge to enforce or change your out-of-state order, you must begin by registering the order in North Carolina. You can find the petition to register a custody order from another state or country here.

Child Custody  

This information applies to All Counties in North Carolina.


Find an Experienced Attorney to help you with your Child Custody issues!

Find experienced lawyers in North Carolina, ready to assist you with your Child Custody legal / court needs.

View North Carolina Child Custody Attorneys
Find a North Carolina Attorney

Find Answers to Your Legal Questions