Court Help Virtual Assistant

  • If your viewing our website with a Desktop computer, visit us on your iPhone or Android mobile phone.

  • Please contact us if you have any questions or comments.

When can the court appoint a guardian for a minor?

In North Carolina, a court may appoint a guardian of the estate for a minor (under age 18), pursuant to Art. 6 in G.S. 35A, who is to receive property, such as an inheritance, life insurance proceeds, or an award from a lawsuit. A court may appoint a guardian of the person or a general guardian if both of the child’s parents are either deceased or have had their parental rights terminated in a court proceeding.


This information applies to All Counties in North Carolina.


Find an Experienced Attorney to help you with your Guardianship issues!

Find experienced lawyers in North Carolina, ready to assist you with your Guardianship legal / court needs.

View North Carolina Guardianship Attorneys
Find a North Carolina Attorney

Find Answers to Your Legal Questions